Remember how you seemed to like listening to stories as a kid? In the adult world, stories remain to be one of the most powerful marketing tools that you can use in business to attract people’s attention. Marketers themselves recognize how storytelling is an important aspect of one’s overall strategy. Meanwhile, storytelling could be the last thing on a typical founder’s mind as they don’t really see the need for it. However, as leaders, founders are at a position where they can direct people inside and outside of the company towards the achievement of their goals simply by telling the story of the company’s origin and motivate people by giving them meaning in what they do. This episode is about harnessing the power of storytelling with its many uses in branding, marketing, investor relations, and employee motivation.
Nancy Duarte is the Founder of Duarte, Inc., the largest Silicon Valley design firm which has been in business for 30 years. At Duarte, Inc., Nancy helps companies tell their stories using influential visual presentations. She is the persuasion specialist who has the inside knowledge on how to incorporate story patterns effectively into business communications. She has worked with global brands such as Apple, GE, Food Network, Google, and TED and has influenced the world’s perception about these companies. Nancy has written six books and her latest one is entitled, Illuminate: Ignite Change Through Speeches, Stories, Ceremonies, and Symbols.
In this Episode:
- How as a founder you would tend to give it everything you’ve got when you first start
- How founders often do not recognize the power of storytelling as a marketing tool
- How your customer should be the hero of the story while your product is what they need to unleash their super powers
- How leader stories help motivate your employees as they see the meaning in working for you
- How the struggle before the success makes up for a great story
- How empathy towards your customers, shareholders, and employees is key towards starting with storytelling
- How to empathize with your team and meet them at their frame of reference in achieving company goals
- How to use origin storytelling in front of investors to establish credibility
- How to build your product story around how it helps human flourishing
- The importance of weaving data into your story and how to organize your data story for quick decision-making